Boys Varsity Football · Quick Start, Strong Finish

66 Saint Joseph High School
6 IHSAA Sectionals
Away   Home
Away Home
Saint Joseph High School vs IHSAA Sectionals
66 6
1 22   -
2 37   -
3 7   -
4 -   6

The Indians were looking to get off to a fast start in the first sectional playoff game against the Clay Colonials. The Indians hadn’t won a game in over a month and were hungry for some success to begin the second season. Well, the desire manifested into reality on the first play from scrimmage after Clay’s onside kick was covered by John O’Shaughnessy. Matt Eck handed off the ball on a running back counter that gave Alex Ortiz enough room to get to the outside and outrun Clay 47 yards for a touchdown. The Indians quickly connected with an Eck to Mattux Tarwacki two-point conversion pass, and just like that the Indians were up 8-0. Defensively, Cole Chrzan ramped it up with a couple of big sacks to force Clay to punt. On the next possession, Eck threw a 50 yard TD to Keagan Frick, but a penalty nullified the play. No matter. Eck tossed a screen pass on the next play to Asante Anglin who raced 50 yards to pay dirt. Jacob Deahl kicked the extra point. On St. Joe’s next possession, the offense drove to the 1 yard line where Eck punched it in with a QB sneak. Deahl’s kick was good. Clay’s next drive stopped with a Rylie Zeller inteception, and the quarter ended 22-0.

The second quarter was an explosion of points. First, Anglin ran 35 yards for a TD. Then Eck connected with Ortiz for a 15 yard touchdown. A fumbled kickoff pinned Clay deep and Hunter Jackson added 2 more points with his tackle of the Colonial attacker in the end zone for a safety. On the ensuing free kick, Ortiz returned it 55 yards for another TD. The next possession for Clay gave Quinn Boyer an interception that led to Eck passing a 15 yard touchdown to Kyle Fortener. After that, first time starter Jack Duddleson intercepted the Clay QB close to the goal line. Matt Eck snuck into the end zone again. Deahl was good on all the extra points.

The second half had a running clock as St. Joe continued to play hard when Liam Lamont recovered a Clay fumble. That set up Marvin Lopez for a 2 yard run giving St. Joe its last touchdown with Deahl’s kick again true. The sole score for Clay happened in the fourth quarter when Clay’s top back ran 60 yards against St. Joe’s younger players for a touchdown. Clay went for two points, but Carson Legault denied the fullback dive. O’Shaughnessy completed the dominant game with a final interception.

The Indians travel to Logansport next Friday to face the Berries in a rematch from last year’s first playoff game. Let’s work for a similar outcome.